Whatcom County and the City of Bellingham are serving as host to the 7th biennial Pacific Rim Regatta during the week of September 6-13, 2014. This international sailing competition, sponsored jointly by the Bellingham Sister Cities Association and the Bellingham Yacht Club, welcomes visiting sailors and ambassadors from the Pacific Rim countries of Australia, Canada, Japan, New Zealand, and Russia.
The Pacific Rim Regatta planning committee is now actively seeking host families to provide housing and local transportation for the visitors from each of these nations. If you are interested in this wonderful multi-cultural experience, please complete the Pac Rim application found by clicking here.
This is truly a wonderful experience, and here are just two reasons you want to be a host family for PacRim 2014:
– The chance to help racers and ambassadors from other countries to experience our life, country and culture here in Whatcom County. It is really amazing to both teach and learn from people from other countries.
– The chance to build relationships, new friendships and family members. This experience will give you the chance to bond in a way you never expected! Many will have so much gratitude for the opportunity you have given them. You will share many laughs along the way and make memories to last a lifetime. Most likely you will remain in contact long after they return home, and most likely have a home of your own to visit in the country you host!
A few things that will be expected of you as a host family for Pac Rim guests:
- Have a safe and comfortable place for the guest(s) to be and to sleep;
- Provide tasty, healthy meals;
- Provide local transportation to all scheduled Pac Rim events and guest activities; and
- Enjoy the time you have together here in our beautiful part of the world!
For more complete information on the Pac Rim Regatta, history, and info on how to become involved, please use this link: Pac Rim Regatta site. You can also contact John & Teresa Van Haalen (Host Family Chairs) at firstname.lastname@example.org.